Thursday, August 04, 2005

...just clap your hands

After reading "East of Eden" in Seoul, I found an amazing affinity with the style that Steinbeck imbues; thus, I've gone on a little SteinSpree. First, there was "The Pearl" which I found to be a more modern and more laymen version of "The Prophet" (Gilbran)...laymen in the way Kerouac would tell a story; pull up by the fire and just tell a tale. Then came "Tortilla Flat" which I find a humorous assortment of accounts that show how silly justification of our virtue can be when seen without the dressing. TF reminded me so much of Don Quixote with its randomness of 'rescue' and prominent plight of everday people that provoke laughter unfettered. Both of these are quite short reads and connived me to continue with "The Winter of Our Discontent".

I've come across some incredible sonorous vibes. Mauro, you have to go out and buy Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah! right now...do not investigate it, do not even think about it...if you've ever trusted me in anything, trust that you will absolutely love the incomprehensible vocals of Ounsworth and find that it falls somewhere in between Flaming Lips and Ween, with a Talking Heads vibes.
Sleater Kinney is another band that has raptured me with its screaming melody that isn't pop punk but not an angry "I hate life" metal either. These girls will get your hips swingin'. Kristin...I strongly encourage you to go get this entire album. They played live here in ATL, but I missed them because I thought they'd be way to Avril Livigne...I was so misguided in my own stuffiness! Some other bands that I've found to be quite interesting are Wilderness which have great instrumentation with strange off-balanced vocals that I haven't taken the time to interpret...yet; Surfjan Stevens is another NYC band that is making an album for each state, after bummin' around it, and has recently released their "Come on Feel the Illinois" which demonstrates in so many dialects his ability as a musician; just a great album.

Finally, I saw "Team America" and fell off my chair laughing at this witty work by Trey Parker & Matt Stone. An uproarious background of "Hollywood's Finest" satire and parodies abound, the soundtrack will absolutely make you piss yourself, in a weeping emotion of humor, and of course the political snubbing, although not a direct screaming rant, (ie. Michael Moore) is obvious in its entire energy of a film. If you want a screaming comedy and are sick of the slap-stick, cheap humor go out and rent this group of marionettes that will jiggle your notion of comedy upon new strings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home