Monday, October 09, 2006

@28 ad-F8...

Movies Yeah...I actually got to a mall here in Makassar; though I watched some seriously trashy movies...worst of the popcorn pushers was "The Crow: Wicked Prayer"...I really thought (hoped) they stopped making such shite movies...seriously I couldn't believe this made it to the screen. "The Wedding Date", predictable, been done, and...not stimulating at all. Finally, another hollywood type of movie, though much funnier, was "The Break-up". Yeah, not my "usual" type of movie but I think V.Vaughn is a funny fkr...and it was refreshing after all the "hello mister...becak?" shouting on the streets; plus they all allowed me to throw more popcorn into my mouth then the past 6 months combined. And to top it all off...I was just in time for "discount day"...;)))))

Books: Just finished "The Shipping News" which was quite a nice read. Prouxl's ability to capture images and use metaphors and similies was something I haven't witnessed in awhile--I won't pretend that I have some brilliant critique of it...but it was much better than the movie. Memory: In Mendoza, with Mark and Joe at the University Cinema (which showed more independent films) we were...all baked outta our minds and I ended up falling asleep--yeah, the book was much better than that.

Music: Bright Eyes, "Wide Awake, It's Morning"

Pic Folders: Look to Lamalera's post for some and add to that, "Dili", "Kelimutu", "Reverent Rinjani", and "Komodo n' Kruz".

Traveller Profile: Meet Frank, from Holland...60+ years, works as a mentor to the prison in the Hague. He was a prison guard for over 25 years and now trains people to secure the International Tribunal Court's "detention" center. He had to go under the lie-detector regarding the murder/suicide of Slobodan Milosevic. His daughter is married to "The Chieftans" lead singer. He travelled to Lore Lindu National Park in Sulawesi--where I plan to go--and witnessed something a handful of people in the world might be able to claim. A 10m (34 ft) Python swallow a 34 year old male...whole. Though he is happily married, he travels alone, as eager a seeker as myself. He says his wife will never again visit Indonesia...not after "having to bathe and shit in the same cube"; thus, he goes at it alone. I'm sure some of you, or at least one, can understand. Frank's got a belly, a bald head, and a benign smile that says "life goes on"...recently spotted in Lamalera, Lembata.



So this is me marking my 28th--"Jesus, Murr...RU serious with that hair"...I know I know--I'm in a random town in Timor L'este...traditional house that survived all the torchings of '99 and 2002; actually, it did have a few charcoal stains and they "renovated" it.

On one of the truck rides along one of the many rocky, bone jiggling "roads", I felt my mind dislodged into that deeper mind-set that occupies my conscience and thought how lucky I've been. It's like I'm in a real-time game of mindsweep and although I didn't really flag any of the destinations, I did avoid all serious catastrophies (or rather, they avoided me).

In Maumere the (from my perspective) calm, friendly people thought it righteous to light some govt. buildings and police posts ablaze after the execution of 3 christians who were implicated in a riot (2000) that yielded some 70 deaths...all muslim; this just 10 days after I was right there in the center of Maumere watching a plane leave me to emotional extremes.

Then, Dili dealt a uncommon lucky gesture when the rebels decided NOT to hold demonstrations that would have surely cut off all buses to the borders and left me inside the torn country indefinately.

After Timor L'este, I crossed the bordertown of Atambua just ONE day before there were MAJOR riots that stormed the prison, releasing some 200 inmates and setting buildings alight as well...when I was there the first time, I saw a carnival, children playing, and I ate at a muslim food stall; not the same picture.

In Lamalera, I was fortunate twice in just one day. First, in choosing NOT to go on the boat that ended up losing its motor at noon and being rowed by old men for hours until it finally pulled in some 12 hours later (story in Lamalera account below); no food, little water, etc. Second, while instead climbing to the volcano, I was just wandering around after a lady gave me false directions halfway up "her" rice terrace when I found myself on a steep cliff that looked good enough to walk on--there was a "path" after all--and so I proceded. Looking at some flora cliff-side, I felt the dirt below my worn boots give way allowing me just enough time to grip the very "plant" I was observing...well-rooted!

Also in Lamalera (different day), after being bitten repeatedly by mozzies and sandflies, I decided to go visit the Anthropologist (U.S.) who's been studying there for over 6 months to grill him with questions that I would find interesting; unfortunately, he had left that very morning and was in another town being treated for Malaria...I itch the billion bumps on my biceps as the lady tells me this.

Finally, after moving to Lewoleba (another town on Lembata Island), I stay with a fellow Jim whose daughter ends up catching Malaria also. I did an especially lengthy killing session inside my mozzie net THAT NIGHT b4 I drifted away.

I should also mention--hope mom isn't reading this, but must give destiny her credit--that I was "lucky" to have been held up in original travel plans/desires so as to NOT reach Poso when I had planned because there were 2 bombs (one killing the other not) that were set off by the angry christians who felt their "people" (the 3 executed) were unjustly terminated...very shitty if in fact it's true (which it most probably is...their innocence that is) cuz there's no going back...is there? So also avoided what could have been that "painful" transit point.

It's crazy...like I was just walking the street and all these bombs were dropping right after my footstep or shortly before my presence; either way, I'll leave fate to do its wondrous thing.

This morning I read an article about a journalist who lost his forearm in Baghdad while doing a report on "Time's Man of the Year: American Soldier". He told how he realized how selfish it was of him to put himself into harm's way just to prove his self-worth; completely disregarded those that love him...hopefully I can learn vicariously thru this man...I promise I'll try to keep out of the trouble-ridden areas as best I can; PLEASE: DO NOT WORRY...God, that's as futile a request as saying, "BE CAREFUL".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart stopped beating for just a sec....but OK. Just keep the updates coming and I will do my best not to worry...too much!
I read a quote today and thought of you....and the possibilities that await you in all that you are discovering.
"There comes a special moment in everyone's life, a moment for which he was born. That special opportunity, when he seizes it, will fulfill his missions- a mission for which he is uniquely qualified. In that moment, he finds greatness. It is his finest hour."
Winston Churchill

Be wise, be well, and be happy.
Love,
Kate in Chicago

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home