Monday, December 11, 2006

Mindless Man in Manila...

Music:

The Format, "Dog Problems", this entire album kicks like you got your foot caught in your pants while takin' 'em off. Sure it should be called Indie Pop, but this is Pop that hasn't fizzled or sold out; it's catchy, it's classic, and it's a shame if you don't at least give it a try. If you're a bit of a pirate you might look for the tracks, "Snail", "Ocean", and "Dead End" which are my faves--I love the "shoo lah lah"s on "Ocean". There are some streaming possibilities of "The Compromise" and "She Doesn't Get It" that are found on Artist Direct. Though not the appleseed of the album, it'll give you a intro to my runner up fave band. Whatever you do, go buy, borrow, or steal this album--thanks Marcos!

Also My current favorite band--Okkervil River's second album which is just an EP, but seriously spurs you into spice o' life with the lyrically livenin' I love and a true band orchestration that chimes and horns in with bombastic brilliance that dares-U2-dance with your soul on your sleeve. I specifically recommend "The President's Dead"--which is not the revolutionary rant it appears 2B--and "No Key, No Plan" which inspires you "to try" to earn your soul. Will Sheff is an amazing artist that I can not recommend highly enough. I also rec'd his 1st album "Black Sheep Boy".

Reads: Wandered into "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" but was cut-off by activity and now have started a short story, "Candide", by Voltaire.

Personal Profile: Simon--42 years old, though has the spirit, energy, and "bugger-it-all" attitude of a 9 year old--that "why" and "why not" innocence in action--that we all wish we could embody a bit more. He somehow slipped the noose of a gang of peace corps. girls who were set out to crucify him on wine appreciation night; It's still amazing that he came away from that crew who had set the stakes and lit the torches, and had actually left them confounded. Full of ideas, ambition, and energy to make his life one of a legend, Simon is an epic character that will remain in italics in the journal of murr.

So this post's title is now yours truly, believe it or not...I've arrived at a point where I just don't care to let the upper instrument drive my life any longer. Of course, this is easier written than performed, but there must be a starting point...and I demand a change!

I shouldn't quantify knowledge--for quality thereof and that which regarding are heavy variables--however, I will. I've learned more in the mucky metropolis, Manila than in the last 10 months of travel combined. I should also say that I could never have absorbed this experience had I not gone thru the 10 months of SEA travel (not to mention the 28 years up-to-date) but we all know...that's how the show works, right?

The 2 typhoons have wrecked a bit of the plans I hoped to realize, though I won't be dissauded any longer; I'm off to Iloilo City to visit the islands of Panay, Negros, Cebu, and play about the Visayas as they're called.




Fortunate to rise from bed and drink those 4 cups of coffee in front of the BBC that morn when I met the legend of the U.K., Simon. Later and still later, he unleashed a good whip of a lesson in the field of judgment; though he may realize it NOT. And the only guy I've ever met with just one name, Tao--no he's not Chinese--also flooded my parched person with nutrients on a different occasion.

Ya see--amongst other things I learned--I knew that by the time I left Manila, I would have developed a position/perception of the issue of "old man with young woman" that is so common here; I only am surprised at which position I've arrived. Enlightened and lightened with the load that judging encumbers, I'll walk away from Manila with a lifelike perspective on relationships, sex, questions in every facet of life, and personal needs/desires.

I came to a junction and ran into the Faust and Mephistopheles himself, and escaped with the simple, selective, and sound advice that will not reveal itself in words within this site. However diabolical their advice may have seemed at first, at the end of the day it was pragmatic, realistic, and sensible. More importantly, the timing couldn't have been more appropriate, as it goes. Furthermore, the "chats" and "questioning" provided me substance I gnawed on incessantly and concluded with several major decisions in my life; at least in between the curtains of this act of the drama that tells my life.

In the meantime, I just happened to run into a dutch guy Marc who I met 4 years ago when he came for a "stay" in my rented apt. in Mendoza Argentina and ended up staying a week or two as so many did; heavy, unimaginable, and freakin' sweet to see him at 7:30am when we both strayed in after each of our own respective long evenings. Also, bumped into a fellow yank with whom I'll probably end up touchin' volcanic tips and coral rips in the Visayas after you, me, and everyone we know bring in the 8th year of the 2nd millenium after JC "made an example".

It feels anything but December; HOT, pissing rain, and I'm on the road all the same. I think I'll end up with some str8 class characters for the eve of the fat man's dance upon snowy rooftops and sand-fronted bungalows. In other words--in familiar words--I'm happy.

I'll end with Lingering Lyrics of the aforementioned Okkervil River:

There is no key, there's no plan. I discovered that.
And truly I don't think you'll find a happier man!

(You never earned your soul),
I know
...but I'm gonna try!!!

You float up high and it isn’t a sin.
And there isn’t a hell where we’ll be sent.
There’s only now, and there isn’t then. So just breathe it in.

So just breathe it in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home