Sunday, March 18, 2007

Phili-Phinish...


Turtle Hatchling

Here ya go Joshie...the volcano just couldn't happen, but Mindoro is a great island to see your amphibious accomplice. I dived and saw about 6, only to snorkel right out in front of my bungalow and come into 4 more. An enormous female chomped away on the sea grass and just let me float about her...man she was really going at it and couldn't have cared less about me as I inched closer and closer. Of course I thought about you throughout. This lil' guy is one of many of the hatchlings that they care for and release when ready.

Apo Reef was to be my last diving in the Philippines and possibly last diving for a long time coming. I certainly didn't spare a penny for the experience...and it was worth it all things considered. Day 1 of our overnight live-aboard was crisp clarity 25 meter visability and at just 8 meters descending to our 35m bottom depth we were greeted by a beautiful white-tip reef shark (wtrS), loads of the fearsome dog-toothed tuna, giant trevally, and a beautiful coral garden wall. Of the 6 dives we did over 2 days, not one dive left us with less than 6 sharks, mostly wtrS, though some grey reefs as well and some barracuda of a size that I didn't know existed...ENORMOUS and unwelcoming! A camera would've been great to have as we dived with sleeping sharks on day 2 and were able to get quite close. Also the baby wtrS that was trapped under a table coral that swam damn near into my mask, cheeky bugger.

I was blessed with a super-star crew including 2 dutch ladies (Cara and Loes), an austrian acquaintance (Andi), Julian, Joel (cook), and Endo (guide/dive master). The food was stimulating as was the company and enjoyment of living onboard with the crystal clear turquoise blue water as my front and back yards.

Manila holds my last few days in this beloved country and I won't leave this land with a light heart. This weekend has held just as many surprises and pleasures as the months preceding.

Signs that Sting Smiles:

"Say no to Philippino time, and yes to Philippino on time." (at port)

"Folded and Hung" (dept. store in a mall)

"Wanted: Attractive Waitress" (many windows)

"Jeep/Elf for hire!"

"Sit like a king..." seen here, that was spotted while hungover upon the toilet.


Music: The recent album of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah has echoed in my eardrums for over a month now and I absolutely love it. It appeared that many people weren't fans of the sophomore disc due to distortion on the first track and "over-complication", but I am confounded at the ostensible ignorance. The album Some Loud Thunder, starts with a title track and exhibits an intended distortion that might mimic thunder. It does strike you as a bizarre choice at first, but the track really grows on you and is one of my faves. Furthermore, David Fridman's presence behind the cast of Clap is obvious in the quirky nature of certain tracks, but also evident in the conspicuous completeness of the album. My favorite track has to be, "Mama, Won't You Keep Those Castles In The Air & Burning?" which starts with a symphonic softness and carries on into a lovely lasting lyrical lick towards the end. "Satin Said Dance" is one of those quirkier tunes that is super catchy and spot on in terms of creating a diabolical disco sound. Then the fantastic cohesion stumbled upon the lolling "Yankee Go Home" demands your emulation. Finally, "Underwater (you and me)" is a bit more conservative in sound but just as good with regard to lyrical creativity and superb musical sounds to match the mood. Overall, a GR8 2nd album that I was blessed to find sent to me via email (cheers, B) and on Mark's sneak-peak of a musical selection that constantly keeps me "in da scene"(held high before gulping down brother--hope you get a chance to see them on this second tour). Go here to check out their website, scroll down and you'll find "Underwater (You and Me)" and "Love Song No. 7" for downloading on the right hand side...and don't do it later!

Movies: The Good Shephard, directed by De Niro was a film with great depth in character personality and admirably shows the reality of life and the demanding decisions that are further from black and white than an Atlanta bumper sticker.


Photo Pholders:

Only 31 photos, but somewhat representative of my time in "Apo Reef..." and Malate.


Kanlaon & Negros

this is a compilation from several months back



Leaving Camiguin--Kid's Show


Camiguin Photos:

Yesterday upon recovering from a hangover, I went out just to get a shwarma--best hangover munch ever!--and couldn't help but start walking thru the seedier neighborhoods of Malate, Manila. In every child's dirty face...within the many fat-folds of old men with their shirts above their bellies...buzzing about the fruit stands of all the old ladies...in all this I saw the sadness sweltering in my acceptance that I'll leave this place. Just like all my enjoyed destinations, it's the people that make or break the tolerance/pleasure of the journey; and the Philipines has given me a new found joy for life, people, and the exuberance and vitality in each moment regardless of what you have.







Manila works on "short time"




Daily routine in Malate--fixin' jeepney


Icon of Hotel Sogo

The most striking difference in comparing Pines to the other 6 countries of this trip is that for the first time, I feel like I'm leaving a kind of "home". I've been so comfortable here; I've been able to speak to the people about all sorts of things. I've seen the apparent influences of the Spanish and American occupations and all of it has welcomed me and just clicked with me more than any other. To all the philippinos that helped with this...salamat. However, the source of this premature nostalgia lies somewhere deeper...and a bit more abstract, but the affinity I share with this great archipelago is irrefutable; and thus, doubltess is my return in the near future.

Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi murray l just want you to know that lm one of the avid reader of your blogspot! wow! l look forward for more! youre not yet phili-phinish! dont forget we have 7,000 islands here waiting for ya.. God Bless! MABUHAY KA!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home