Thursday, March 29, 2007

~~~~Concise & Curt: Cambodia~~~~



"Seems like it always seems;
where I go, I want to leave."

I ran across Cambodia quicker than I have any other country, bar Singapore (4 day transit visit). Angkor Wat--This place was literally made for the gods and is everything you dream...but 3 days was enuf tackling temples. The book mentioned in Reads below gave a piercing perspective of some of the places around Siem Reap and even Phnom Penh, which I made way for shortly after my session with Khmer ArKitecture. PP is a capital city; it's loud, super-busy, and absolutely no peace is given, except for in your room...and even that was often interrupted by midnight howls and dawn-busting racket.

First day in Siem Reap I saw: loads of children counting 1-10 in English, followed by Spanish, German, French, and some even Russian without stopping for breath or thought. Also saw a boy holding a snake with 1 hand behind his moped, while the other steered, a hundred monks storm one of the temples splashing their brilliant orange colour upon East Baray, and finally--and most impressively--a girl who could give me the capital city of damn near every country I posed for her. The remarkable thing was that she was so quick with her response that I often didn't even get the whole country out before she'd butt in with the appropriate city. "Mongo..."-->>"ULAANBAATAR!!!", she'd belt out. "Latvi..."-->>"Riga!" It was most impressive from SEA to even some of the state capitals of my country.


School's out!!!

I really did want to get out into Cambodia's interior and do some hiking, but I tend to wander off and Cambodia isn't the ideal place to wander or take shortcuts, for it may cut-short more than you'd hoped. Besides, I kinda took the embassy guy's offer of "visa-in-an-hour in exchange for an additional 10US" added to my visa cost as a sign.


Bakong of Ruluos Group

I grabbed the visa and saw a load of other whities picking up their visa-improved passports, knowing that I'd run into most of them along the way...and I have. The next day, I was bound for Tuol Sleng, the Security Prison set up by the Khmers Rouges to exterminate all imperialist traitors...and a whole heap of those who never were. No words for that place, nor the energy, nor what happened. I didn't even want to post my pics, cuz it just doesn't mean shit when it comes down to it; however, there are a few placed in the midst of a pile of Angkor photos. I walked to and from the prison, and by way of back-street alleyways I came into contact with some good Cambodian chaps who all gave me that look of "what the hell RU doing here" even though it was only a couple blocks from a major tourist stop.


From Inside of Tuol Sleng


Can U manage these rules...FOOL???

Quickly made way for Kratie up in North Cambodia, only serving as a break in the long journey and more than anything so I could avoid paying "overtime" fees at the border. Fat lot of good that did, as the 12 of us that crossed were stiffed for a buck each on both sides. When the guard was asked what the fk ANOTHER dollar was being added for, he responded, "service fees". I'm not really sure WHAT is job is if it's not doing what he exactly did for a kickback, but welcome to Indochina. Surely you're all saying, what's a couple bucks ya cheapASS!!?!! But it boils down to a first impression and last taste of these countries; furthermore, if ya can't trust the govt. police force and border patrol, where do you go?

Reads: A book passed onto me by a Slovenian Miha, "The Gate" by Francois Bizot was much better than I had originally thought it would be. First hand account of a Frenchman (Bizot--go figure) who was captured by the Khmers Rouges and thought be a CIA spy for America. Crisp details and incredulous dialouges with some of the most infamous players of the regime. It's a perfect read for someone who wants to know a fraction of what went on in Cambodia 1971-79, without the unreadability of most historical works...recommended.

Film: I saw the great film "Syriana" by Stephen Gaghan again last night and found it amazingly spot on to what's happening and has happened in these years...it was very accurate in prescience and holds onto your attention without the booms of most contemporary flics.

Music: While looking out over the Mekong, I swing in my hammock perched on my bungalow's porch and listen to a great album, first-to-last track; "Born In The USA" by the boss of course. Quite perplexing how "Dancing in the Dark" still seems to hold a bit of truth for me...yeah, even at 28. I wonder how many people think this is a patriotic album and/or title track...it's anything but Sam. What a great album that says so much about cultura americana--definately worth another listen if it's been awhile 4U.

Photo-Pholder: Sorry for jammin' near 100 photos in this Angkor's Album...I know that one shot of a temple looks like all the others, but I tried to throw some people in and give a bit more contrast.

Bakong Portal

Let me NOT 4get: Huge happy feliz cumple for my fine amiga argentina Ximena...espero el mejor para vos querida. Obvio que no puedo traerme un trago...ni mi mismo a la fiestita tuya, aunque, sabes que lo querria TANTO! Seguro que este una partusa con amigos intimos y una re buena onda que me fallara. Igual...que brindes con el vino mas rico, el Fernet mas espumoso, y el Andes mas puro...y que brindes 2 hasta que te encuentre de nuevo--te quiero muchisimo!

Lyringing Lyrics: CYHSY

"When do mouths close and people just gracefully retreat?"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

l have injoyed reading your blogs,it seems that your life is very enteresting. l too like to travel,l have been to most of the islands you visited while you were in the philppines.one day l hope to travel outside the philippines,ln fact l got my passport last year in anticipation of visiting of foreign lands.
you should never have gotten a haircut!!! in cebu!
hopefully it will grow!

BiGMyuacK
Eddy

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that it's quite interesting to read about your adventures, definitely nothing I would have ever expected 15yrs ago!! But not completely shocking. Sounds like you always have a good time, even making the best out of the least desirable. So when are you heading home? Or maybe the question is, where do you consider home?

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose my previous comment about home was kind of ridiculous given the name of your blog and what you've been doing for years now... But I think it's only natural to wonder why you don't have a "home". There is just something about familiar things, familiar smells, nostalgia I guess...It seems as though you are running from something or are you in search of something? How long will the vagabond go on?

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home